Belgium in the Philippines
Home Legalisation of documents

Legalisation of documents

When to submit your documents, how much will it cost?

Documents for legalisation can be submitted at the Consular Counter of the Embassy from Monday to Friday (except scheduled holidays) from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm.

Legalised documents will normally be released the same day to the applicant unless further verification is deemed necessary.

Consular fees have to be paid on spot (cash in PHP and exact change). For the fees, please refer yourself to the updated Tariff on the right of our website – quick links.

There are no age limits to a document to be accepted for legalisation, as long as the Embassy is in possession of the specimen of signatures to be attested. One should however observe that Belgian administrations do not accept documents older than six months after authentication by NSO (National Statistics Office) and DFA (Department of Foreign Affairs).

Kindly note that the original document in English needs to be legalised by the Embassy before being translated. Any translation done in the Philippines needs to be legalised as well.


Which documents? How to proceed?

  • The Embassy can only legalised Philippine documents drafted and signed by local authorities in the Philippines.
  • Any document drafted abroad can not be accepted for legalisation by the Embassy in Manila.
  • Even Belgian documents cannot be accepted. They have to be authenticated by SPF Foreign Affairs in Brussels then by the Embassy of the Philippines in Brussels to be accepted in the Philippines.
  • Civil Registry Documents, such as Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Certificates of Non-Appearance in the National Indices of Marriages or Single Status Certificates, should be registered at the National Statistics Office main office in Quezon City.
  • These documents should also be printed on NSO Security Paper before having them authenticated by DFA. Local Civil Registry formats will not be accepted for authentication.
  • All Philippine documents must be authenticated by Department of Foreign Affairs before being submitted to the Embassy for legalisation.
  • Philippine diplomas or degrees need certification by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) before authentication by DFA.
  • You can have your own signature legalised on a private document only if you are registered at the Embassy in Manila and only if you sign the document in the Embassy.



  • Office of the Civil Registrar - National Statistics Office - for the official locations of the Census Centers (
  • Department of Foreign Affairs - Authentication Division, Consular Services - Old ADB Building, Roxas Boulevard - Pasay City - 8 AM to 12 AM en 1:30 PM to 5 PM - Tel No. 834-4000 
  • Address of the Embassy of Belgium - 9th floor. Multinational Bancorporation Centre - 6805 Ayala Avenue, Makati City - Tel No. 845-18-69


Important Reminders

In some cases, an official verification of the documents may be requested before legalisation. And if serious doubt exists on the authenticity of the documents, a more thorough investigation about the document could be requested.

If you cannot come in person to the Embassy and wish to delegate a representative, the following is required:

  • Authorization letter from the owner of the document stating the purpose of the request and the name of the representative.
  • Photocopy of the data page (1st page) of the owner’s passport or ID card in Belgium (if any).


Legalisation requests of documents that are part of a visa application have to be submitted with the visa file at the Belgian VAC at VFS. Consular fees for the legalisations will be paid at VFS.