Belgium in the Philippines
Home Consular services Legalization of documents

Legalization of documents

Which documents

  • The Embassy can only legalize Philippine documents drafted and signed by local authorities in the Philippines.
  • Any document drafted abroad cannot be accepted for legalization by the Embassy in Manila.
  • Even Belgian documents cannot be accepted. They only can be authenticated by SPF Foreign Affairs in Brussels then by the Embassy of the Philippines in Brussels to be valid in the Philippines.
  • Civil Documents, such as birth certificates, Marriage Certificates, Death Certificates, CENOMAR or others should be officially registered with the Civil Registration Service of the PSA (Philippines Statistics Authority - former NSO) main office in Quezon City.
  • These documents should also be printed on Security Paper (yellow paper). Local Civil Registry formats (white paper) will not be accepted.
  • All Philippine documents must then be authenticated by Department of Foreign Affairs before being submitted to the Embassy for legalization.
  • Belgian administrations in general do not accept documents older than six months.
  • Philippine diplomas or program study certification must be recognized by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) before authentication by DFA.
  • You can have your own signature legalized on a private document only if you are registered with us and if you come in person to sign the document at the Embassy.


  • In some cases (certainly for civil status or nationality files), you must have your documents translated into Dutch, French or German by a sworn translator.
  • If you are registered with the Embassy, you may choose the language of preference ; if you are registered in Belgium, you must use the language of the municipality where the certificate will be executed.
  • Don’t forget that the original document in English needs to be legalized by the Embassy before being translated.
  • If you choose to translate your documents in the Philippines, you will find here the list of our sworn translators.
  • Any translation done in the Philippines needs to be legalized by this Embassy as well.
  • If you choose to translate your documents in Belgium, which is possible but maybe longer and more expensive, a list of sworn translators can be obtained from the clerk of the court of first instance of the jurisdiction of the municipality where the document will be used.
  • Any translation done in the Belgium needs to be legalized by SPF Foreign Affairs in Brussels then.

Recurrent problems with Filipino certificates

One of the main reasons of complications in visa, civil status or nationality files is the fact that Civil Registry Certificates (birth, marriage, CENOMAR…) contains too many mistakes in the names, place, dates or particular information given of the applicant. We strongly recommend you to double-check those certificates the moment they are first issued it. It is indeed the responsibility of the applicant to pay attention to details and eventually requests for corrections.

On the other hand, those certificates must reflect the truth always and no blank CENOMAR will be accepted if the applicant is indeed still married.

If serious doubt exists on the authenticity or the content of the documents, a more thorough investigation will be requested. Any expenses related to this investigation has to be borne by the applicant.

How to proceed

Click here for complete procedure.


More general information on legalization in Belgium...