Administrative assistance to Belgians who are registered in the consular population register

Here you will find an overview of the administrative assistance that a consular post can provide to Belgians registered in the consular population register.

Consular administrative assistance abroad is provided by more than a hundred Belgian general consular posts and career consular posts.

These are mainly located in the capital or other cities of the country covered by their jurisdiction. This jurisdiction sometimes extends to other neighboring countries where Belgium does not have a career consular post.

Administrative assistance, such as the issuance of passports, eID’s, Kids-ID’s, consular certificates, etc. is only provided to Belgians who are registered in the consular population registerYou can find an overview of these consular services here.

As a Belgian domiciled overseas, it is advisable to always contact the Belgian general consular post or the career consulate post in your country before contacting the Federal Public Service Foreign Affairs in Brussels.

Administrative assistance to Belgians who are not registered in this register, such as Belgians who are traveling temporarily abroad, is limited to the issuance of a provisional travel document if the issuing conditions are fulfilled. Consult the section Travel advice.

What services are not offered by Belgian consular officers?

  • Intervening in private affairs (for example, hotel bookings, the payment of hotel bills, storing your luggage, finding accommodation, the payment of medical expenses, customs’ transactions, fines, legal fees, bail payments, fetching back an abducted child or accommodating a minor, the enforcement of a Belgian civil order in a third country, or obliging another country to settle a family dispute, inquiries into crimes or deaths, etc.).
  • Ensuring that you benefit from preferential treatment in hospitals, by a doctor, in the case of imprisonment, for excursions or visits, or even ensuring your release from prison or intervening in legal proceedings.
  • Ensuring that you get a job, obtaining your resident's permit or your work permit or an extension of your visa.